Highlights of the post:
Completing Profile on HEC
Scheduling an appointment
Thinking of applying abroad for higher education? Or looking for a job outside of the country? In any case, document and degree attestation from HEC is a necessary step that every degree holder goes through. Here’s a stepwise guide on HEC degree attestation.
Registration on HEC
For degree attestation, you will need to register yourself on the HEC E-Portal if you don’t have an account already.
If you are a Pakistani National, you will register with your National Identity Card number (CNIC), otherwise you will be using your Pakistani Origin Card number (POC), along with your contact information.
After you have entered the required information, you will receive a verification code by either your mail or a text message.
Once you have completed the HEC new registration process, you can login using CNIC number or your POC number any time you want.
Pro Tip: Having difficulty with signing up? Head over our step-by-step guide to HEC registration.
Completing Profile at HEC
This step in the entire procedure might be the lengthiest step. It involves following procedures:
- Firstly, you will be required to add your personal information, details about your education, from your secondary education (matric/O-levels) to the highest degree (Masters, Mphil, or PHD) you have.
- Secondly, you will need to enter information relating to your professional background. You will have to upload a passport size picture and a scanned copy of your CNIC card.
- Lastly, an important step is to attach all the documents and transcripts related to your educational accomplishments.
Note: Double-check to make sure that all the dates and spellings you have entered are the same as the ones on your documents.
Your HEC profile will be marked complete, as soon as you have filled all the required information and you will be cleared to move onto the next stage.
Pro Tip: Keep all your documents by your side, to complete the process without any hassle.
Once your profile is complete, scroll towards the navigation tab and click on the, ‘Degree Attestation’ tab. After that, you will have to select the ‘Application Form and’ you will be redirected to another page, giving you the below-mentioned options to choose from:
- Attest new degree
- Duplicate attestation
- Update an attested degree
Attest New Degree
This service is for the individuals who have never had their degrees attested, or the degrees that were attested by HEC were verified between March 2009 and May 2017.
These individuals would have to go through the process again, as during that time the HEC degree verification system was not synced with the Pakistan Qualification Register (PQR).
Upon selection of this option, you will be required to choose a degree from your profile for HEC degree attestation; however, if you are a fresh graduate, you can choose your transcript for attestation.
Note for Fresh Graduates: Before getting your transcript attested, make sure that HEC does not require you to get it verified by your university first. For that you will have to contact the controller of examination in your department, and then complete the rest of the process.
This option is for the individuals who have misplaced their already attested documents, and need to get the duplicates attested.
You will need to lodge an FIR with the police regarding this matter. Bring the FIR and the entire newspaper with the advertisement for the misplaced document. Your request will not be processed if a complaint with the police has not been lodged.
Update an Attested Degree
If you have changed your surname, gender, or there is any other change in any of the information you have given to HEC then this service is meant for you.
Documents needed for attestation
While applying to get your degree attested make sure you fulfill all of HEC’s requirements for attestation, such as your transcript needs to be verified by your university, or the documents should not be laminated.
The photocopies of your degree will not be attested, until your original degree has not been attested by HEC. If you are getting your documents verified for the first time, you will need to enter ‘number of pages for original documents’ and ‘number of pages of photocopy documents’ for each document.
You will be asked a couple of questions by the HEC E-portal. For instance, if the text on your documents and your ID card is the same, it will also ask whether the text on your documents is readable.
Scheduling an Appointment
HEC will go through your application and verify it. Whether there are any discrepancies or not you will be notified via a text message or email, and a task will be added in the ‘my task’ section of the E-portal, where further instructions will be given.
You will be asked to select either of the two options:
- Attestation through walk-in
- Attestation through courier service
Walk in Mode
The individual opting for this will have to:
- Step 1: Schedule their visit for attestation in the given time slots within 100 days of their application being approved. HEC head office and their regional offices offer degree attestation service.
The individual can also even authorise another person to visit the HEC office for attestation.
- Step 2: The applicant will be required to bring all of their original documents and their copies, along with the print out of the application form and the bank challan form upon their visit.
- Step 3: The applicant will be given a token, which they will have to submit on the respective windows.
- Step 4: After the original documents have been checked by the authorities, the applicant will deposit the fee and the HEC challan form, after which the HEC staff will be responsible for the case.
The documents will be verified, attested and returned on the same day.
Note: HEC has suspended walk-ins due to the ongoing pandemic.
If you’re unable to visit the HEC offices personally or do not want to authorise any other individual, then you can opt for attestation through courier service.
With the confirmation email of their case being approved for attestation, the individual will receive instruction to submit their documents through the courier service.
Individuals living in Pakistan will have to use the services of TCS, while the individuals living abroad will have to send their documents to the designated office of Gerry’s FedEx at Islamabad.
- Step 1: The applicant will submit their documents needed to be attested to the courier company, along with the copy of CNIC, the attestation fees, and the courier charges to the company.
- Step 2: Upon handing over the documents to the courier company, the applicant will be given a receipt. The receipt will have to be uploaded by the individual on the HEC E-portal in the ‘my task’ section.
- Step 3: When your documents will be returned to you, it is dependent on your courier service, as soon as HEC receives your documents, the process will start, and after 10 days you will be updated via mail or a text message.
Note: Payment will be made through the courier service.
HEC Application Tracking
HEC’s E-Portal has made it easier to not just apply for attestation online, but also to file a complaint and track it on its online complaints forum.
Adding a Complaint
- Select the service against which you wish to make a complaint; you can use your CNIC number or your passport number.
- Enter your full name and your contact information, cell phone number, and email address.
- Enter the application ID, which you received while applying for the attestation service.
- Share your complaint in the issue box, and upload any files you might have for proof.
Tracking a Complaint
- Enter your ticket number or your CNIC number.
- If you scroll down you can see all the updates or remarks HEC might have.
Degree Attestation Fees
The fee for the HEC degree attestation is based on whether the documents are original or not.
|Type of Document||Fee per copy (PKR)|
Note: If you are employing the service of any courier service, the charges for the delivery will be paid to them separately.
If you have any further queries, or are facing any difficulty, you can contact HEC, by either visiting their office or calling them.
HEC helpline: 111- 119-432
FAQs About HEC Degree Attestation
HEC degree attestation is an acknowledgement from the Higher Education Authorities that the degree in question is authentic.
You can get your degree attested by either visiting any HEC office, or through courier service.
Getting your degree attested by HEC is quite necessary, especially if you are moving abroad for work or study purposes. Your application will not be accepted unless your degree is attested.
If you visit a HEC office, your degree will be attested and your documents will be returned the same day of your visit.
However, if you get your degree attested through a courier service, once your documents have reached the HEC office, it will take 10 working days for the authorities to complete the process.
Looking for more information regarding laws and taxes in Pakistan, head onto JagahOnline Blogs, and follow us on Facebook as well.