Drive in a Snowstorm
Prepare Your Car for a Snowstorm
Survive a Snowstorm
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Survive Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Every time winters arrive and snowstorm follows them, we remain unprepared. We all want to survive winters, especially snowstorms because they can make you suffer in multiple ways. In hilly areas where avalanche or land sliding is common, driving in those areas make it worst in the snowstorm. Even in Pakistan, there are many areas where tourists get stuck at the peak of the snowy season. Especially in areas like Murree are the most visited places in this weather. Murree weather is harsh and people have to face long queues of vehicles in traffic jams. Here is a list of mountain ranges in Pakistan If you want to visit amazing places near them. Two questions come into everyone’s mind; How to drive in a snowstorm and how to survive in a snowstorm?
We will discuss all the important methods and hacks to help you survive in a snowstorm. All you need is a backup of a few things in your vehicle to support these survival techniques.
How to Drive in a Snowstorm?
Panic is the main reason of all the mishaps. Avoid to get panic and follow these simple instructions.
- Drive slowly and keep more distance than usual.
- Lift your feet off the brakes and acceleration when your vehicle starts to skid on a snowy track.
- Have a firm control of your steering. Try to steer your vehicle well instead of applying brakes when the vehicle starts to skid.
- Apply brakes very little and avoid acceleration.
- Stay away from all the long vehicles like trucks and trawler trucks. Don’t try to overtake them at all.
How to Prepare Your Car for a Snowstorm?
Without preparation, one can’t be supported by luck. You have to gear up your car or any vehicle before going into a blizzard or snowstorm.
- Clean your windshield from inside before driving, it will help defog the windshield.
- Apply snow tyres in your car if you live in a region, which faces snowy weather very often. You may also use zip ties or chains on normal tyres in snow for a better grip on the road.
- Cover wiper with socks a day before driving, it will save your wipers from ice.
- Make a mixture of water and vinegar with a 1:3 ratio and spray it on the windshield hours or day before driving, it will prevent ice from your windshield.
- Cover your wing mirrors/side mirrors with a plastic bag, it will save it from icy layers.
- Use cooking oil in the car doors to prevent them from freezing.
- Make sure your fuel tank is full if you are about to travel for a long distance in a snowstorm.
How to Survive a Snowstorm?
No one wants to get stuck in snowstorm traffic where you might end up spending long hours in your car. To turn your ordinary car into a snowstorm car, you need to follow the below hacks.
- Pack some extra clothes and a blanket in the trunk of your car.
- Keep an old ATM card in the car to remove ice from the windshield.
- Carry a bottle of hand sanitiser to defrost the door lock and windshield.
- Carry an extra power bank (portable charger) in your car.
- Carry some energy bars and biscuits in your car.
- Wear socks inside your shoes before pushing the car from snow to avoid slipping.
- Carry a jar of honey to keep you warm when you are stuck in a snowstorm.
- Use hand sanitiser in your car’s door key section if it gets jammed because of ice. It will melt the ice quickly.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
DESCRIPTION: A lethal gas emission when the exhaust pipe gets covered with snow. Make sure to remove snow from that pipe when stuck in a traffic jam.
When any kind of material burns, it releases carbon monoxide (CO), which becomes extremely lethal if you are in an enclosed place. Engines, electric/gas appliances, fuel-burning etc. are the common reasons for its emission. If someone is stuck in a snowstorm and has to stay in a car when the engine is running, that person needs to be aware of carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be lethal. Some symptoms can help you identify its presence because it has no odour or visibility.
- Chest Pain
How to Survive Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
If you feel any of the above symptoms, immediately open the windows to let the gas leave the car. Make sure your engine is switched off for a few minutes because a running engine with closed windows is a warning sign. Repeat the process of opening the windows after every 15 minutes or half an hour in case of long sitting.
Survival in a snowstorm when you are stuck in a car is not that difficult, all you need to follow the above advice for snowstorm driving and goods you must have in your car. They are handy for travelling with your family. Those who are familiar with Murree weather conditions in Pakistan need to take these tips seriously. You may also read about protection from Dengue Virus. Covid is also expanding with new variants. You may also read about the Omicron, a variant of COVID19. For any feedback or suggestions, you may contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.